What Is Drug Addiction?
Drug addiction is a serious problem that can affect anyone. It’s a brain disease that makes people crave drugs even when they know they’re bad for them. People with drug addiction may feel like they need drugs to feel good or to cope with stress. They may also have withdrawal symptoms when they stop using drugs. Talking about the causes of drug addiction, there are many reasons why people get addicted to drugs. Sometimes it’s because of genetics. If someone has a family history of addiction, they’re more likely to become addicted themselves. Other times, in the causes of drug addiction we can find the environment they grew up in, which means if someone lives in a household where drugs are used or abused, they’re more likely to start using drugs themselves. No matter the causes of drug addiction when talking about recovery, do not hesitate to contact our experienced team and start a path to a brighter future.
What Are The Signs And Symptoms Of Drug Addiction?
We already talked about what causes drug addiction, but let’s dive into the signs and symptoms of drug addiction. People with drug addiction may have a lot of changes in their behavior and physical health. Here are some things to keep in mind when talking about signs and symptoms of drug addiction:
- Changes in behavior: People with drug addiction may start to withdraw from their friends and family, skip school or work, and lose interest in activities they used to enjoy. They may also start to lie or steal to get money for drugs.
- Physical changes: People with drug addiction may start to lose weight, have trouble sleeping, or have changes in their appetite. They may also have problems with their skin, teeth, or hair.
- Other symptoms: People with drug addiction may also experience mood swings, anxiety, or depression. They may also have problems with their memory and concentration.
What Are Some Common Types Of Drug Addiction?
There are many different types of drugs that people can become addicted to, but some of the most common types of drug addiction include:
- Alcohol: Alcohol is a depressant that can cause a variety of health problems, including liver damage, heart disease, and cancer. It can also lead to addiction, which can be difficult to overcome.
- Marijuana: Marijuana is a drug that can cause relaxation and euphoria. However, it can also lead to addiction, especially in young people.
- Opioids: When we talk about types of drug addiction, opioids can be a severe one. These are drugs that are used to relieve pain and they can be very addictive, leading to overdose and death.
- Cocaine: Cocaine is a stimulant that can cause a feeling of euphoria. However, it can also lead to addiction, anxiety, and paranoia.
- Methamphetamine: Methamphetamine is a stimulant that can cause a feeling of alertness and energy. However, it can also lead to addiction, psychosis, and violence.
Types Of Drug Addiction Treatments
Some of the most common types of drug addiction treatment include:
- Inpatient treatment: Inpatient treatment is a type of treatment where you live at a treatment center for a period of time. This type of treatment is often recommended for people who have a severe drug addiction or who need help with detoxing from drugs.
- Outpatient treatment: Outpatient treatment is a type of treatment where you go to the treatment center during the day and then go home at night. This includes PHP and IOP levels of care. This type of treatment is often recommended for people who have mild to moderate drug addiction or who have a job or other commitments that make it difficult to stay in an inpatient treatment center.
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT): MAT is a type of treatment that combines medication with counseling and other therapy. Medications can help to reduce cravings and withdrawal symptoms, making it easier for people to stay sober.
- Counseling: Counseling is a type of therapy that can help people to understand their addiction and develop coping skills to manage their cravings.
- Support groups: Support groups are groups of people who are struggling with drug addiction or who have been through drug addiction treatment. Support groups can provide a safe place to share your experiences and get support from others.
Drug Addiction Treatment At Lighthouse
Lighthouse Recovery Texas provides a Partial Hospitalization Program (PHP) and an Intensive Outpatient program (IOP) for those struggling with drug addiction. If you or a loved one is struggling with this disease, reach out today so we can help you find the help you need. You can also verify your insurance with us here.